Today we have all witnessed a momentous occasion. One that history books will forever encapsulate. One that had nothing to do with war, death, or destruction. Today we saw a peaceful change in power in our country. I believe that every presidential inauguration is monumental, but this one, for obvious reasons, will be more memorable than most.
For me, this is the first inauguration I have watched. Most of you who know me know that I am hardly political. In fact, I let most politics play out while I stay naiveley in the dark. I don't care who the new CIA director is, or who the President has chosen for Secretary of whatever office. That may amaze some of my friends, others feel the same way. However today, one that will be written about forever to come, I felt I needed to witness history first hand, not on YouTube later. What I saw was a great affair, with all the necessary but not overdone pomp and circumstance. And while we may not all agree with the choice of the people, it is because of that choice that our country is so great.
As I listened today to one of the most powerful men in the country give his first speech as President, I said a prayer. I pray that the new president will keep God in the center of every decision that he makes. I prayed that he will keep his family close and stay active in their lives. Like the opening prayer, I prayed that God will give the President wisdom to lead with humility, and I prayed that God keep him safe. I believe that God will write history in the coming years and that we will be witness to some great things, both good and bad.
I also reflected on how great technology is that I could watch the president give his inauguration speech LIVE, in my own office, hundreds of miles away. Thinking back to the not so distant past, when JFK was shot most people learned of it by radio. When the Challenger exploded, we were all herded into gymnasiums to watch it and the aftermath on a single TV. While I am not now nor ever will be a fan of the press, I am glad I had the opportunity to see what I saw today through the use of media and technology.
On a lighter note, as I watched I thought of many random little things that I feel the need to share. I hope you all had a chance to watch today's events because we are all now part of history.
Random Thoughts Between 11:30 and 12:30:
1) What is the rain plan for the inauguration? Surely they don't do it outside?!
2) Why do we hold the inauguration events in one of the coldest months of the year? Why not May? (I am sure there is some historical reason that my friends are going to inform me of later, but that's why I ask!)
3) How cool would it be to be a young child living in the White House? The Obama girls are old enough to understand and appreciate what today means, and dude, they live in the WHITE HOUSE!
4) Along the same vein....do you think Jenna Bush's husband felt intimidated when he want to the President of the United States to ask for his daughter's hand in marriage? And Patrick thought he had it rough....
5) Aretha Franklin's wardrobe person needs to be shot...that bow was way over the top.
6) I was reading an article today that says that the Obama girls will be scrutinized for everything they say and do in the coming years. This article even went so far as to say that if either girl gets a bad grade on a test that it would be front-page news. My question is WHY?!?! These girls are just that--girls. There are going to be days that they do poorly on tests, fight with their best friends, say something mean to one another. That merely proves that they are human, just like the rest of us. Why do the press feel the need to elevate these girls beyond their years, hold them to standards they don't hold to their own kids, and even worse, REPORT ABOUT IT?! Here's where my rant against the media could start, so I'll step down from my soapbox now before it gets ugly.
7) Finally, I couldn't help but compare today with a wedding. Both the "bride" and "groom" were up early, preparing for the day. Both had huge smiles and waved at a LOT of people. Only one had to say vows, during which he was visibly nervous, but happy (hmmm...remind you of anyone?), There are many celebrations planned after the event and the entire day was about them.
สล็อตเว็บตรงยุโรป
2 years ago
1 comment:
The inauguration used to be held in March. This was primarily due to the slow communications and the gathering of the election returns. In 1933, the 20th Amendment was introduced to change the date from March to January. The Amendment was ratified on January 20, 1937 and Franklin D. Roosevelt became the first President to start his term in January.
The reasons behind the change were simple. Communications were no longer slow and lagging as they had benn in the 18th and 19th centuries. The change also helped eliminate the practices of "lame duck" politicians who did nothing in the four months between the election and the start of the new congress and presidential term. This is also the origin of the term "lame duck".
Post a Comment