Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Not the Joneses

Does anyone else ever get into a rut about where they are in life? I am sure you all know the phrase "Keeping up with the Joneses". It seems lately that has been all I have focused on. How we are not the Joneses (i.e. we don't have the things, family lives, etc that other folks have). I've even been known over the past couple weeks to throw my own personal pity parties, lamenting this fact.

Today I finally decided to cut that out and really, truly be OK about not keeping up with the other Joneses in our lives. We are not the Joneses (and no, I am not talking about my friend Heidi's parents because obviously we aren't them...duh). We are who WE are, where we are because that is exactly where God means for us to be.

It is so easy to let yourself get so bogged down with what other people have that you think you want in life. It had gotten to the point that I was embarassed about what we DID have. For example, we recently attended a birthday party for one of Morgan's classmates in a very nice neighborhood. Their house was large, airy, and actually very nice. The entire time I was there I kept thinking, I will have to schedule Morgan's birthday party at some park or something because I wouldn't dare have these rich people over to our little house. (And you know, just typing that out makes me ashamed that I ever thought that....but that's how we grow right?). I was so consumed with what they "had" that we didn't have, I couldn't enjoy the party. The house next door was for sale and as we left I asked Patrick how much he thought it cost. He said $300,000. I said no way, it's much more. Turns out, it was $500,000. Yes folks, I came right home and looked it up.

Sitting back now, I wonder why on earth I did that? It's obvious our circumstances are much different than Morgan's classmate. I have often gotten into the line of thought that my child goes to school with all the "rich kids" like she is some sort of poor outsider who was a charity case the preschool took on. How flawed is that thinking?

And the trap I fall into most is the "If we had/or didn't have" mindset. If we didn't have day care expenses we'd have more. If I didn't have to take all this medication we'd have more. If, if, if. But you know what? We DO have those things. And we have a LOT more.

Even when I get into this mindset, I am always thankful for what we have. But honestly, I always thank God for what we do have, followed quickly with "but it'd be great if we had...".

God is not an ATM. We cannot withdraw whatever we want from Him whenever we need it. We have lots of things in our life....credit card debt, student loans, car payments, AND a family home that continues to be loved and lived in, a beautiful daughter who lights up our lives, supportive family, vehicles, and during these trying times a hot commody...jobs.

There is not a day that goes by that I go to bed truly WANTING for something. If you look around our house you will see lots of things that are frivilous items to many other people. But we thought they were important, and that's why they are in OUR house. Not our friends. Not the people who go to day care, not the guy in the Cadillac Escalade next to me in the line of cars at a red light. Everyone's priorities are different, and the fact that my family can make choices in spite of the things we have to pay for, is such a blessing, and there are many families who would love to have what we have.

I guess this post is mostly a confession, and a challenge. For me, and for you dear reader. The next time I am feeling the "I wish we had..." thoughts, I want to immediately banish them. I want to focus on what we do have, and be truly thankful for those things. Today I want to be content in knowing that I am exactly where He intends me to be. I hope you can do the same.

4 comments:

Alaina said...

Excellent post.

James Risk said...

The Joneses may have many nice things, but don't forget the one thing they have that you don't want -- DEBT. Yes, you may have your student loans, car payment, and credit card bills, but the Joneses have a debt so large they can barely pay the interest.

Excellent post.

Head table said...

I totally agree Jen!

Melanie said...

You said so many things that I have been guilty of thinking these days myself. It is so easy to forget how much we do have and how blessed our lives actually are when we're focused on wanting something more. I've been struggling with this lately so hold me accountable on this journey with you!