Today as I was returning to work from a day trip to Elkins, WV I was required to do one of those "other duties as assigned" that I never thought I would have to do.
It was raining and quite miserable outside. As I stepped out of the car I sniffed the air and thought to myself, "What stinks? It smells like something is burning." Thinking I was just smelling things, I popped the trunk of the rental and prepared to get my display materials out of the car. As I started toward the door I saw the plastic cigarette disposal container on fire (flames coming from the top about 3 feet above the disposal and on both sides) right next to the building! I panicked for about 5 seconds, then quickly went inside (past the fire) to find something to put the fire out. I passed the fire extinguisher and thought, "I think I can put it out with water", plus I will admit that I don't really know HOW to use a fire extinguisher. I was able to put out the fire using water (making 3 trips with 1 big bowl and one pitcher full). I was afraid that every time I opened the door that the smoke from the fire would come in and set off the fire alarm IN the building. Thankfully the only thing it did was make me stink.
Upon dousing the fire, I was finally able to see the damage. The plastic on the disposal container was completely melted, and the wall behind it was charred. The plant which sits right next to the door was fine, but I do believe if it had not been raining the plant would have caught fire and done a lot more damage. I think I have earned a right to pass the buck next time one of those "duties" comes along!
สล็อตเว็บตรงยุโรป
2 years ago
1 comment:
Guess we will have to get Uncle Richard, our in-house firefighter, to teach you how to use a fire extinguisher. Basic rule is Remember PASS...Pull (the pin) Aim (at the base of the fire) Sweep and Suppress. But you did the biggest No-No by going past the fire into the building. Did you ever hear of calling 911? Even the smallest fire can cause harm. You are the hero of the day for doing what needed to be done but next time...let the experts handle it no matter how big or small. that's what they get paid for and you won't get injured. This is why I advocate tobacco free work places. then you don't have to worry about fires being caused by cigarettes! And as you probably guessed, this is from your mother...the alltime worry wart of the year!
Post a Comment